Halloween is coming! Will you be *tricked* in to thinking it’s ok to over indulge in all of the *treats*?
Does this happen to you?
I’m here to tell you that’s it’s not a big deal. Well, it doesn’t have to be. It all comes down to “Trick or Treat” and you make the choice!
The “Tricks” may look something like this:
- You tell yourself it’s no big deal to inhale 20 little Snickers
- You tell yourself that Halloween is only once a year, so why not enjoy it?
- You tell yourself that once all of the candy is gone, you will do better (or start over on Monday)
- You tell yourself you deserve it, you need it, you earned it
Notice that I listed all of these as “tricks” not “treats”.
You think that you are treating yourself….but are you really?
Basically, you are telling yourself a story that you want to hear…so that it justifies your actions. You are not “treating” yourself but rather sabotaging all of your hard work and efforts and even more importantly messing with your mind.
Now honestly, do I think it’s a big deal to have some Halloween candy? Obviously not (yes this is my hand in this picture)………..
I do think it is a big deal however, to feel like you have to *justify* your actions.
If it’s not a big deal, you shouldn’t have to justify anything!
Here are a few tips to really “treat” yourself;
- Be mindful. Put aside 2 little Snickers and have them. Enjoy them. No guilt, no justification necessary. Then move on.
- Appreciate that you are in control and you have a choice over your actions.
- Keep in mind that although it is Halloween, you can realistically have candy whenever you want. The fact that it is Halloween doesn’t really matter.
- Remember the big picture. What are your goals? Do you workout? Are you trying to be healthy? Again, a few pieces of candy will not prevent you from reaching your goals UNLESS you can’t handle a few pieces. Be honest with yourself, if you can’t stop…don’t start.
It all boils down to mindset. If you value your hard work and value yourself, treat yourself with amazing things…like a piece of REAL chocolate, a glass of wine or even have the Snickers…but don’t beat yourself up over it.
When all else fails, buy the little boxes of raisins to give out. I doubt you’ll eat too many!